How to Choose a Qualified Lawyer
1. Choose an elder law attorney. Other attorneys simply may not have the knowledge, skill, judgment or experience to plan for your needs and desires properly.
2. Choose an attorney you trust. Nothing is more important in a lawyer/client relationship than having a lawyer you trust.
3. Choose an attorney who does your work himself. If the attorney gives your work to his assistant or paralegal, then why hire the attorney?
4. Choose an attorney who provides excellent service. Anything less is not acceptable.
5. Choose an attorney who will answer all of your questions. You won’t make good decisions if your questions remain unanswered.
6. Choose an attorney who will return your phone calls quickly. You should never hire a lawyer who won’t respond promptly to your needs.
7. Choose an attorney who will inform you about the advantages and disadvantages of probate. Some estate planning attorneys earn their livings from probate, so they won’t likely tell you to avoid it.
8. Choose an attorney who is a respected source of information — one who had dedicated his practice to helping people understand their elder law alternatives.
9. Choose an attorney who charges fair fees. If the fee is too low, the attorney may be leaving something out. And if the fee is sky high, the lawyer may be overcharging you.
10. Choose an attorney who provides free telephone consultations. You never know when something might come up.
11. Choose an attorney who offers free initial consultations. Shouldn’t you be able to talk with the lawyer for free before you decide whether to hire him.
Provided as an educational service by Jerry (J.L.) Siefers, Jr., Attorney at Law, Siefers Law Office, P.C.
If you have questions or comments in the areas of elder law, estate planning, trust (including special needs trusts), probate, guardianships, or medicaid asset protection, you're invited to contact J.L. as follows:
Jerry (J.L.) Siefers, Jr.
Counselor and Attorney at Law
(Siefers Law Office, P.C.)
205 South Walnut Street Suite 14
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
TEL: (812) 558-0533 * FAX: (812) 558-0532
email J.L. Siefers, Jr.
You're invited to call me!
I'll gladly talk with you over the phone or in person for free. I'll help you understand what decisions you face so you can properly plan for you and your loved ones while protecting your assets.